Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I know it's been awhile, but I have been so busy with yard and house work.  We have company staying right now, so for a couple weeks I was crazily cleaning.  I'm not terribly fond of house cleaning.  I'm much happier cooking or crocheting, but I love the end result.  It's amazing how much a clean organized house can affect everyone's mood.  Everybody just seems calmer and more relaxed and the day runs more smoothly.  So, cleaning rags- check, cleaners- check, mop- check, loud music- check, and away we go.

As with everything, I am always looking for cheaper, safer alternatives to commercial products.  So naturally I have been looking into in learning about homemade cleaning products.  I find it very interesting how complicated companies make their products.  They have a million different products with a million different chemical ingredients for every different cleaning job you can imagine.   Of course they want you to think that you need all these bottles- your house won't possibly be clean enough without them.  And now on top of that they are making everything disposable!  Instead of using a cleaning rag, there are tubs of pre-moistened wipes for the kitchen and bath.  Instead of a toilet brush, you can use a toilet wand with disposable scrubbie pads.  It just amazes me how many ways the corporations can come up with for us to throw away our money while at the same time consuming even more resources and overflowing the landfills.  However, in researching the topic, I was pleased to discover how simple, safe and effective natural homemade cleaners are.  Vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and good old-fashioned soap and water are a few of the things I came across.  Here are a few links to some good sites with cleaning recipes.  Experiment, have fun.  Find what you like and what works for you.  And be happy that you've taken one more step towards self-sufficiency and natural living :)

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

http://organizedhome.com/clean-house/pantry-recipes-homemade-cleaning-products

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-non-toxic-cleaning-kit.html

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2007/08/various-recipes-for-green-cleaning.html

1 comment:

  1. As with everything, I am always looking for cheaper, safer alternatives to commercial products. So naturally I have been looking
    cleaning rag

    ReplyDelete